eForesee

Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT

  • Subject: Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT
  • From: "CSM chair"
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:00:12 +0200

Ray,

you've made a very important point.

In a previous discussion it has been said that perhaps the university is not turning out the required high level of ICT graduates.  I believe that this is incorrect, and that the University is turning out graduates to the required academic level.

However, an adequate supply of suitably-qualified ICT graduates will not give us what we're after, which is growth of the ICT industry in Malta.  Perhaps ICT students are not entrepreneurial by nature, perhaps any entrepreneurial spirit they may have has never been encouraged, or perhaps they were never taught how to turn ideas into business.

Perhaps we don't even need ICT graduates who are also entrepreneurs.  Perhaps all we need is entrepreneurs, who can get an ICT business started up and employ ICT professionals to develop his ideas.

In any case, there's a lot that needs to be done to develop the ICT industry in Malta, but raising the academic level of University graduates is fairly low on that list.

Brian

Brian Warrington
Chairman, Computer Society of Malta