eForesee

Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT

  • Subject: Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT
  • From: Antoine Gambin
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 5:08:13 +0200

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:13:15 +0200 "Angele Giuliano" wrote:
> Hi to all!
>
> Wow! This discussion is heating up fassst!
>
> Here are my scenarios (the good, the bad
> and the ugly):
>
> 1. Self-Sustaining ICT sector - (I mentioned this
> in the last meeting as well) where the sector
> of ICT will be able to exist on its own two
> feet, get the investment it requires (something
> more sustainable than the 1million techy
> fund please!!), and use resources from our island
> without the need to import brains from abroad.
> I would classify this as a GOOD scenario!
>
> 2. Copy Cat ICT sector - where ideas are not new but
> simply copied over from foreign counterparts and
> redistributed. The Piracy industry would be in
> its golden era and people would not appreciate
> innovations... they would just stick labels saying
> "Made in Malta" on any copied concept they use!
> This would be BAD.
>
> 3. Dinosaur Maltese ICT (to carry on the Animal Farm
> after Joe's elephants) - where local software
> developers are registering as unemployed as there
> is no more need for them. Microsoft has bought the
> country and has changed Malta into Microsoftland.
> Work is carried out in Seattle anyhow and only
> tax consultants have some serious work to do. On
> the bright side, we all have a free laptop and a
> little chip grafted inside our skin (Intel inside)
> which becomes flourescent in the dark and one can
> easily discern "Microsoftland Serial number:
> 1234-ehwd certificate of authenticity!" :-)
> Do I need to tell you that this would be UGLY??
>
> Ciao!
>
> Angele
>
> -----------------------------------------------ooO-^ ^-Ooo--
> AcrossLimits - http://www.acrosslimits.com
> (address) 16 Bwieraq Street, Birkirkara - Malta
> (mobile) +356 99447060 (email) [email protected]
> (tel) +356 21 496376, 21 493983 (fax) +356 21 486008

I would like to comment about the GOOD.
If and whenever Malta imports brains from abroad is a good symptom. It
means that we will soon be able to do what the imported brains are doing.
If such imported brains are imported because they can do what we cannot
do yet than it is a good import after all I would rather have that than
have a brain drain, which then again would be a GOOD because it would
mean we are exporting education.
Antoine
FREE!! Submit your website's URL to the largest search-engine for Maltese web-sites on the Net AT NO COST!
Simply go to http://searchmalta.com/submit/ and follow the instructions on the site.