eForesee

Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT

  • Subject: Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT
  • From: Antoine Gambin
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 5:28:35 +0200

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:50:35 +0200 "Ray Muscat" wrote:
> Juan,
>
> I like your contribution. Indeed, our current education system is
> failing. Instead of trying to nurture the innovative and inquisitive
> elements of our children, the system is filtering the few
> academically gifted students from the many practical (and possibly
> those that do think out of the box) students. The system is preparing
> students to University, which is itself not entrepreneurial, leading
> to graduates that are indeed very low on creativity. On the other
> hand, given the opportunity (such as Young Enterprise), our
> youngsters prove to all that they can indeed be creative.
>
> Ray Muscat
> KBIC

I agree with what Ray is saying about the fact that the system works at
preparing students for University but isn't the role of institutions like
ITS and MCAST that of creating alternative avenues towards a rewarding
career ? I am under the impression that the ITS is doing a good job in
preparing students with hands on experience. MCAST maybe has not been
around enough for us to start watching the benefits of its existence.
Maybe Mr Borg Manduca can illuminate us as to what kind of reaction the
students and maybe the industries are having to this important role MCAST
will be playing in the future.
If I remember correctly, in the expert panel meeting of the 23rd of
August it was said the industry should have a say in what the University
should be producing so that we do not end up with a massive surplus in
the traditional professions and a shortage in what the industry of the
future really needs. There is a delicate balance that has to be struck
here. I am sure we all remember that a couple of decades ago the numerus
clausus for entry into University was justified by this very reason and
other factions were saying it was not just that people who want to follow
various disciplines are refused the opportunity to do so.
Private industry has a new responsibility to create opportunities for
students who would like to follow a career which the industry requires.
University will obviously not be the sole provider of opportunities to
become a professional. The University population will not be as massive
as it is today and there will be a shift to institutes like MCAST and
other training institutions. These institutions will provide
qualifications which encourage follow up by other qualifications or other
follow-up-modules to keep the graduate up to date with the fast
development in the field of ICT which is the focus of this panel. This
will create a generation of individuals who work in private industry and
who are in constant update. At the same time, although it might be slower
in Malta's case due to geographical reasons, one must not omit the
mobility factor wherein qualifications must be aimed at creating that
additional opportunity for individuals. Today, a qualification in the
field of ICT is not just a ticket to a job but to a career. There have
been other contributions in this panel wherein one spoke of brain drain
etc. In a field which has nothing to do with ICT, TEFL (Teaching English
as a Foreign Language), up till some months ago teachers went for a short
course prescribed by the Department of Education and one could obtain a
temporary warrant and the story stopped there. Down the line there was
one qualification in the field which enabled teachers to follow up this
course outside University and that enabled teachers to practice the
profession abroad. This new qualification (CELTA) was held once a year
and was expensive. Now, different schools are running courses under the
supervision of foreign boards for cheaper fees and with more frequency
throughout the year.
This is the way forward and new opportunities in ICT will involve
lifelong update for professionals in the field and new opportunities at
seeking opportunities elsewhere. These individuals who go are replaced by
others who come into our industry with other backgrounds and ideas and
Malta can benefit from this exchange.
FREE!! Submit your website's URL to the largest search-engine for Maltese web-sites on the Net AT NO COST!
Simply go to http://searchmalta.com/submit/ and follow the instructions on the site.
your profile. Feel free to forward this message to colleagues or
friends interested in any foresight related activities.

  • Follow-Ups:
    • Re: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT
      • From: Juan Borg Manduca

top-of-page Email-A-Page

  [ foresight in cyprus ] [ foresight in estonia ] [ foresight in malta ]
  [ conferences and events ] [ mailing lists ] [ foresight links ] [ search ]
  [ home ] [ about foresight ] [ contact us ] [ web discussion ] [ user area ]

   Design, hosting and programming by AcrossLimitsAcrossLimits.