eForesee

RE: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT

  • Subject: RE: eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT
  • From: melvin.pellicano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:56:18 +0200

I would like to share with you an article I came across. It is taken from
Euroabstracts Vol.40-4/2002, published by the European Commission,
Innovation/SMEs Programme, August 2002. Here it comes :
A clear view of the haze
European policy-makers try to ensure that the education system offers the
skills high technolgy industries demand. In this complex, shifting job
market we need forecasting models that can predict tomorrow's skills gaps.
Unfortunately, information on skill levels in high-tech sectors is patchy.
The dot.com bubble, inflated by false expectations, sucked in thousands of
qualified workers. The mobile phone companies hired more and more expert
staff, seemingly safe in the promise of new generations of telephony.
Nobody predicted the subsequent collapse. The authors of this study concede
that it is impossible to forecast the specific skills needs of defined
sub-sectors of the industry, and in a short timeframe. They cite the "open,
dynamic, 'chaotic' properties of socio-technological development". They
could be describing the weather. On the other hand, it is possible in a
rather general way to forecast the need for certain types of skill - ICT
being a prime example - over a period of, say, five to ten years.
Ambitious pilot
This is a pilot study of seven high-tech sectors in just three countries:
the UK, the Netherlands and Norway. It investigates the possibility of
establishing indicators of demand and supply of highly skilled labour, based
largely on the Labour Force Survey (LFS), since this is the only source
available throughout the European Union. It also sifts the literature for
insights on skills gaps and mismatches which might inform public policy.
The Labour Force Survey is seriously limited, mainly because the samples for
the categories under study are very small. Some of the classifications are
also different from one country to another. Register data taken from a
census of the whole population would be much better. However, a register is
only available from Norway, and even then many of the variables being
measured are missing. Nevertheless, despite the rawness of raw materials,
the forecasting of skills appears to offer useful results. In this case, a
portrait painted with a very broad brush presents a recognisable face
nonetheless.
Basic policy-making
The country analyses cover workforce stratification, training and mobility.
To see how the results might be applied in practice, let us look at the
picture in telecommunications services and computer services in the UK
during the 1990s. These two sectors have been chosen as they are key
drivers for knowledge-driven economy. Computer services have very high
stocks of educated workers and a high training provision, while
telecommunications services have lower stocks but higher training than
computer services. The rate of inflow of educated workers into computer
services is faster than outflow, reflecting the fact that the sector has
been expanding.
In telecommunications services, however, inflow and outflow rates show a
similar pattern, while both increased substantially over the decade. Thus,
telecommunications services have realtively more labour fluidity and more
problems retaining people than computer services. Therefore a policy-maker
might decide to introduce different kinds of training programme for
telecommunication services and for computer services , and to try to reduce
the outflows from telecommunication services. One way would be to offer
incentives to firms to encourage them to retain staff. The huge demand for
qualified staff in computer services means that computer related training
must be a priority.
The analysis provides no understanding of mobility within a sector. For
example, firms may have difficulties attracting and training employees who
then rapidly defect to rival companies.
Parallel analyses can be performed for the Netherlands and Norway. The
extra information from the Norwegian register data shows that the skill
composition of the telecommunications sector has been rapidly changing.
Could more sophisticated data perhaps give advance warning of seismic shifts
in the industry?
This information has been taken from "The supply and demand of high
technology skills in United Kingdom, Norway and Neherlands - a report from
the European Science and Technology Observatory (ESTO) - EUR 20122 EN,
European Commission, Institute for Prospective Technological Studies ,
Seville 2001. Fax +34 95 44 88 326, e-mail: [email protected]
Download : http://www.jrc.es/cfapp/reports/details.cfm?ID789
More related to this subject...........
Attracting researchers
Research depends not only on funding and infrastructure, but also on the
researchers themselves. Therfore the so-called "brain-drain" and the strong
competition for qualified staff is crucially important to most countries'
economies. The Irish Expert Group on Future Skill Needs advises on
strategies for attracting more research graduates and post-doctoral
researchers to Ireland. This study examines strategies and mechanisms that
have been put in place in other countries, by national governments, science
and technology organisations and universities.
Benchmarking mechanisms and strategies to attract researchers to Ireland
2001, Forfas 2002, English, 86pp, free of charge
Download : http://www.forfas.ie/pubs_index.htm