eForesee

Re(2): eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT

  • Subject: Re(2): eForesee malta-ict: Scenarios for Malta in ICT
  • From: "Galea Paul at MITTS"
  • Date: 22 Aug 2002 15:42:00 +0100

I think that considering that Malta was a late entry in the Global IT secto,
our achievements in the last decade by far exceeds our expectations.
Keeping this in mind, I think that we could use the experience gained in this
"FRESH START" approach that Malta had in the 1990's and offer our help to those
countries (especially in the north african region) who are still struggling to
set up their IT infrastructure ans IS capabilities.
Also, this could also lead to Malta being a hub in the provision of services
(ISP, ASP, NSP, and so on), especially providing Software as a service or
Application Service Provision (ASP).
Another area which we could benefit from is the provision of remote
administrastion/support/maintenance/helpdesk services.
All this can only happend if Malta's Internet bandwith problem is solved.
A lot of people in Malta are speaking about on-line services being made
available but unless our international bandwith is adequately "beefed-up", none
of these services will materialise at an international level.
One of the worlds' greates deficiencies nowadays is the non-availibility of
SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS. The educational systems around the world (and in
particular those of small countries like ourselves) seem to lack the ability to
produce people with very good software skills. I see this from 11 years
experience at MSU/ MITTS Ltd. where I have mentored a number of students from a
number of academic backgrounds (University, Technical Institute, Junior
Collegge, ..). The biggest problem (Juan hit the nail on the head with his
coments on this) is that not enough emphasis is place on the teaching of soft
skills. (and these include softWARE skills)
The current educational system ( I am sure that most of you have gone through
University, passing exams and not remembering what the subjects were about
after a couple of days) only deems people as being successfull, if they pass
exams and in the particular area of software, this is a great fallacy. Another
problem with software is that it is very difficult to teach software if you are
not a software developer yourself. As such, I feel that the we need more of the
Hand-on approach that juan mentioned.
I feel that there is a high concentration of software developers in Malta
already, but with a bit of investment and foresight, we could
Regards
Paul Galea
Consultant
Strategy and Architecture Department
Central Information Management Unit
Jennifer Cassingena Harper (22/08/02 12:21):
>Leonard,
>
>many thanks,
>
>Jennifer

theory). This implies a situation where all teachers are making the best
possible use of ICT in order to enhance teaching and learning in all areas of
the curriculum and at all levels of our education system (primary, secondary,
post-secondary and tertiary). This vision includes making most of the
communication capabilities of current and future technology in order to promote
learning at a distance and at all times of the day (e-learning) and at
facilitating communication between parents/guardians and the school. It also
implies a situation where Malta develops innovative ways of making use of ICT
in our classrooms. Once such a vision is in place we can become a Mediteranean
centre of excellence in teacher education in this area. We can then offer
appropriate University level courses mainly through distance learning.

> Leonard Bezzina
>
> Jennifer Cassingena Harper wrote:
>
> Dear Colleagues, We would like to initiate an on-line discussion on
alternative futures for Malta in ICT. We would like you to send us up to ten
different scenario themes for Malta in ICT. These can be scenario themes
focused on:
> a.. specific niche areas (e.g. Malta as an e-learning hub)
> b.. or ICT-enabled initiatives (e.g. on-line gambling)
> c.. or telecomms-related initiatives
> d.. or any other ideas in general !!
> Ideally, this exercise should not involve too much time - maximum 30
minutes - just jot down what comes immediately to mind. So send us your
feedback if possible by Thursday 22 August.Looking forward to hearing from you,
Jennifer
> ___________Dr. Jennifer Cassingena
Harper
> Head, Policy Unit,
> Malta Council for Science and Technology
> Villa Bighi, Bighi, Kalkara CSP 11, Malta
> email: [email protected] http://www.mcst.org.mt
> direct dial-in: +356 23602125
> tel. +356 21 660340 (fax) +356 21 660341
> ___________
>

> +++++++++++++++
>
> Dr Leonard Bezzina
> Department of Mathematics, Science and Technical Education
> Faculty of Education
> University of Malta
> Msida MSD 06
> Malta
>
> E-mail address: [email protected]
> Telephone number: 3290 2404

your profile. Feel free to forward this message to colleagues or
friends interested in any foresight related activities.